Friday, May 25, 2007

Superb Tacos Michoacan



Have you ever been driving around with some friends when one of you says "hey..where can we get 20 tacos for 10 bucks?" Well if you have the answer to that question would be Super Tacos Michoacan, a taco stand at the corner of Vineland and Chandler in North Hollywood.

IMG_0709

I joked with the girl behind the counter that if I could eat 20 tacos all by myself if they would be free. "Like that movie with John Candy" I said.

She had no idea what I was talking about and neither did I frankly.

"You can eat 20 tacos?" she laughed "Not you,not 20 tacos"

I guess I don't look like a twenty taco eating guy. I went with the four taco and drink special for $4.99 (al pastor, carne asada, carnitas, birria)

IMG_0707

They have a nice salsa bar with verde and roja and grilled jalapeno peppers. When my tacos were ready I ladled some salsa roja over them and plopped one of the grilled jalapenos on my plate. I have a rule that if a taquero places a grilled jalapeno on my plate I must eat it (I'm actually obsessive compulsive about it..if I don't eat it it alters the taco universe). When I am the one putting the jalapeno on my plate I don't always stick to the ritual. Somehow when the taquero does it I feel that it is dishonorable not to eat it. Especially after they've gone to the trouble of grilling it.

These beauties all went down easy except for the birria, which was a little gamey. The carnitas and al pastor were excellent. The salted pork of the carnitas went well with the spicy roja as did the sweetness of the al pastor.After one bite of the asada taco I got a little adventurous and cut the stem from the jalepeno and wrapped it inside the asada taco. The flavor and heat from the grilled pepper paired perfectly with the juicy flank steak and corn tortillas. Sabroso!

Now if only I can drag some of my compañeros to Noho.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Super Tacos Michoacan
5342 Vineland Ave
North Hollywood


Technorati Tags:Tacos,North hollywood,
New Italian in park and more echo...
Raita Aubergine

No comments: