Monday, June 18, 2007

Le Tacos De Tanya

IMG_0977

I remember reading an article in one of the Los Angeles papers about a restaurateur that couldn't get people to come into his restaurant to try his food but every time he set up a taco stand in the parking lot the crowds would line up for his tasty tacos. The inside of his restaurant was usually empty and he was constantly trying to get his customers to come inside and try his other dishes to no avail.But sales tripled.

IMG_0978
carniceria mural

So now everytime I see a taco truck parked in the lot of a carniceria or taqueria I think of that taquero and his unusual dilemma. I also think that the proprietor of the carniceria most likely understands a thing or two about human behavior. Although carnicerias commonly sell tacos behind the counter the allure of the taco wagon in the parking lot is too tempting. It becomes an impulse buy for motorists and passers buy, many of whom would not have bothered to go inside to order from the counter.

IMG_0979

That's how I ended up at Tanya's taco truck. Driving east on Cesar Chavez my impulses got the best of me and I pulled over.

When I first walked up to the truck they were loading supplies from the market into the back of the truck. It was just after noon and I could smell the grilled meats emanating out of the trucks windows. The scent of charred pork and beef and chile hit my nostrils and set off all the happy sensors in my brain.

IMG_0979g
asada

My tacos(asada y al pastor) came garnished with onions and cilantro.The al pastor was cut from the spit, the asada char-grilled and lime flavored. Both meats finely chopped and topped with a salsa roja and avocado salsa. The cold creamy avocado salsa in one bite, the chile salsa in the next add all the flavor you can ask for. If you want some extra heat ask for a jalapeƱo(which I did) and you'll be dancing.

IMG_0979h
al pastor

If I had room I would have gone back for more but the heavy lunch earlier in the day put an end to any gastrological excess. These were beauties though and I will be back to try the other meat offerings. If you plan on going on a taco crawl along Cesar E Chavez on a Saturday afternoon don't forget to add Tanya's to your list.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tanya's Tacos
4300 Cesar E Chavez Ave
Tacos $1

No comments: